Tuesday 27 May 2014

FOOD, SCRABBLE AND TIDYING

Okay I shall unfold the events of last week as best I can, I really should start to write them on a daily basis.  Oh as promised here's the podcast of Simons show last Sunday http://www.sinefm.com/a_z_of_shows/the_other_way

MONDAY 19.05.14
Started off the usual way, rack, tap, etc, etc.  Scrabble night, this evening and I made a fantastic "detox" salad copied from one I had in London (when we came second in the Best Entertainment, Celebration or Event Provider at the What's On For Me awards at Earls Court, brag, brag) and when Lornas friend Aaron took us to his favourite vegetarian restaurant.  I know fantastic and salad don't usually go together but trust me it really is, there's not a lettuce leaf in sight but there's beetroot, carrots, bean sprouts, sunflower seeds, pine nuts, goats cheese and other things and a home made dressing using honey and chilli and garlic.  I'm going to have Simon so trim soon, no more "Obese Wan Kenobi".  Bluesy Steve joined us again this evening and did a bit better than the previous week (payday on Monday and Steve does like a few pints of Old Rosie before joining us) of course I won making it my 18th win to Simons 1, oh and Steve got to sleep in the now tidy spare bedroom with a floor and a bed visible!!!

TUESDAY 20.05.14
Usual work stuff, phone calls, paperwork etc.  Booked loads of bands in and finalised the details for next weeks bands it's going to be interesting I've got 6 totally different types of acts over Friday and Saturday, David Wood is excited too as he's got his new desk to play with.  This evening I went off to Mummy and Daddys for tea again with my sister.  Just lately I've been talking about things/people and they've been appearing (not like ghosts or landing magically at my feet), for example I was talking to Simon about a friend "Granny", I've not seen him in years and then we were walking to the Co-op on Monday night and there he was.  Well since I got my lovely mirror from Simon I was saying to him some crystal door knobs would look nice on the cupboard next to it and my sisters sat there and said "I've seen some lovely crystal door knobs in Home Bargains" out of the blue, I'd not mentioned my need for them so off we went after tea and purchased some and they are lovely.  Had the usual raucous night which always ensues when we get together and then Mandy took me home and finally got to meet Simon and she was well behaved, didn't mention the size of her husbands willy or anything (a previous boyfriend was introduced to her for the first time when they were having a major barny and that was the main topic of conversation with little fingers being used to prove a point).

WEDNESDAY 21.05.14
Up early, showered and at Cask before 9, it's early morning deliveries today, my cellar is rammed so full, hard to believe that this time next week it'll be empty again, Mummy and Daddy popped in to give me left over pizza from last night.  Took a break around 5 to go out for dinner with Simon spotted two of my regulars in there, yes you know who you are, drinking Carling!!!!  Shame on you.  Open Mic tonight and Becky the "new girl"s first full shift.   Brilliant, brilliant night, Laura Kelly bought here ukulele and did some amazing things with her loop pedal ("to redeem myself after last week" were her words), Alistair Pearson sang his Dandelion and Shoe song, Mike Gabarok sounded great (booked him for support next Saturday), Groomlake Fugitives members (minus Liam), Will Saunders, David Bailey and Matt McCormack played some great stuff (they too are playing Saturday 31st), Endless list of awesomeness, suffice to say a good time was had by all, no wonder it's my favourite night of the week.

THURSDAY 22.05.14
Today I made definite improvements to the state of the two spare bedrooms the floor is visible, stuff was thrown away and recycled and clothes hung up but still not finished also put on my new crystal doornobs, very nice.  Had a bit of a break for a banjolele and bongo duet with Simon as you do, watch out Open Mic next week we may appear.  I was shattered, it was late and it was raining but I got dressed (yes I spent the day tidying in my nighty) and went and voted, this time next year if I do run for the Green Party I'd like to think people were voting for me. Came home and had another Scrabble night and I won yet again, 19-1.  Simons cough was so bad this evening that I hardly got a wink of sleep.

FRIDAY 23.05.14
Banked, answered emails, paperwork, shopped and intended leaving Cask by about two, fixed 3 chairs and whilst bending over them with the wood glue my back spasmed and I couldn't move, Lorna massaged me until I could get up and I ended up leaving at 6.30pm.  Home, showered and back to Cask for 9 in time to see Dave Bailey finishing his set.  As soon as I got there I was in and out of the cellar, I spend all day Friday waiting for barrels to finish but no, they wait until the evening, put 5 new barrels on tonight, in cellar, take pipe off old cask and put in water, rack new cask, back to bar pull water through, back in cellar, pipe in line cleaner, back to bar pull line cleaner through, back in cellar, pipe in water, back in bar, pull water through, back in cellar, attach pipe to new cask, back in bar, pull new cask through, 5 times, with a bad back.  I've learnt now to use my left arm for this as I use my right arm to serve so that way my muscles will be even otherwise I'd be like Popeye in one arm.  It was tough struggling through the crowds too as The Patriots were on and everybody was dancing, they're a great band, they did a cover of I Believe In a Thing Called Love, don't know how Drew gets his voice so high (think he may have a little bit of Bee Gee in him). but it sounded amazing.  Another great night and after I'd finished cashing up at the end of the night Becky, Daniel, Mick Holmes and I sat and talked, we lost track of the time (Mick was regaling us with the funniest tales, the funniest being his first wet dream, I'll not go into detail) and I ended up getting home at 6am for my jacket potato, cheese and bonnet peppers and now it doesn't even feel odd eating it at that time, I'd asked Simon to go to his flat so I can get some sleep can't manage another sleepless night (or in this instance morning) listening to him coughing.

SATURDAY 24.05.14
Woke up stiff as a board my backs really sore but soldiered on with the bedrooms (you must be appalled at how long it's taking me but it's not all my stuff, most of it is like the drum kit and a million hats but I've got ex boyfriends things and daughters things and all the stuff that was under my bed before it broke that got dumped in there at 3am one morning after said bed breaking).  Back to Cask Corner to see Passion Play whilst running backwards and forwards again, this evening another 5 barrels needed changing.  Lots of punks in this evening I've never had a punk band play on a weekend before but The Shambollix were really good, not too punk to put off the regulars, they did some great covers that bought back memories of my youth I was singing along all night and I wasn't on my own.  Cashed up  and home (no Simon again) for 3.30am after calling at Spar for more cheese, milk, yogurt (cheesy mushroom pasta for tea at 4am, happy days)

SUNDAY 25.05.14
Woke up on the settee, back felt much better just a bit stiff.  Made Soda Bread and ate it straight from the oven with loads of butter and marmalade and watched Emmerdale Omnibus.  Thought about more tidying but got sidetracked by my banjolele, played that for a bit then ended up writing a song.  I'm really chuffed with myself I've written poems before but never a song with chords and a chorus and everything, I rang Lorna up and sang it to her and she said it made her all emotional (not the singing honestly it was the lyrics) now I just need to be able to sing and then I can do it at Open Mic.  Did a bit more tidying up then made my way down to Sine FM for Simons show.  David Wood who does the sound at Cask Corner, David Bailey, regular Cask Corner support and member of the band Groomlake Fugitives and Chaddy and Josh from Velcro Teddy Bears were on today, they're really great lads, really funny too, Simon played some tracks from their new CD and they sounded amazing,  Every week I give Simon a word to say on air and Josh and Chaddy also had a word from one of their fans so for those of you who listened Hippo, Knickerbocker Glory and Particulate were the words artfully slipped into the conversation.  I'm really looking forward to them playing at Cask next Friday.  Bailey sang and did an accidental swear, oops and Dave Wood shared crisps, Home again and made a nut loaf for tea and played Scrabble, I'm not going to cry but Simon won and that's all I'm going to say, roll on tomorrow night when I WILL reclaim my title.

Have a lovely week and I'll be back with more tales of what I had to eat next week.



Oh, also for those of you who asked me to include a What's On in my blog here it is for week commencing 26.05.14 Free Entry.

Wednesday  20.30 - 02.00    Open Mic
Thursday      21.00 - 02.00    Quiz Night
Friday           20.30 - 02.00    Anastasia Walker, One More Mile An Hour, Velcro Teddy Bears
Saturday       20.30 - 02.00   Mike Gabarok, Groomlake Fugitives, Sixth Of July

More info can be found at http://www.caskcornerbar.co.uk/ or https://www.facebook.com/caskcornerdivebar or twitter @Caskcornerbar









No comments:

Post a Comment