Tuesday 20 May 2014

IF MUSIC BE THE FOOD OF LOVE (DON'T PLAY ON THE EVENING OF A NEW MOON)

Thought I'd come home and write this, sitting in an office with a flat roof and no windows or air conditioning at Cask Corner is not as good as sat at home in my nighty with the door open and a cup of coffee.  Now where do I begin, what happened last week it's all a blur.....

MONDAY 12.05.14
Started off the same as every Monday, rack, tap, order, purchase leger, bank, pay bills, order beer.  Gordon from Thwaites came to see me about some lovely menus he's putting together for Cask Corner.  Got home and realised we'd nothing for tea but luckily a trip to B & M last week had resulted in a tin of vindaloo sauce and we'd a few mushrooms and an onion so mushroom vindaloo for tea.  I'd left my keys at work so Bluesy Steve said he'd drop them off and Simon and I roped him into Scrabble night.  Another vicory for me with AVIATION making it my biggest win (by 256) points 15-1 to me.  Oh how I sang my song with glee this week.  Poor Steve had to sleep in the untidy "dressing" room (when I first made it my dressing room I felt so posh and now it's like a bomb full of glitter, clothes, shoes and assorted rubbish just went off in there, apparently it's more untidy than Steves room at home, I will tidy it one day I promise.

TUESDAY 13.05.14
This evening I went to Mummy and Daddys for tea, my sister Mandy also went and I don't see enough of her so there was a lot of laughing and ribald jokes and innuendo, Mandy is not known for her couthness (looks like a lady, mouth of a builder).  She also took the micky out of me for mentioning Simon in every conversation and came up with a word association game where she said a word and I had to tell her a "Simon Story", she gave up when she gave me scissors and I likened them to secateurs and told the the tale of when I nearly chopped Simons finger right off (see Simons blog for more info it's from before I started doing mine http://freelancepeanut.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/youve-got-nine-others.html.). She also gave me a link to pass on to Simon about an auction for records on Wednesday that he may be interested in.

The Facade - Mandy (and the girls, no idea how they stayed in that dress all night), Mummy and Daddy and me at my birthday prom.
What we're really like -  In the late 80's in London with our friend Andrea

WEDNESDAY 14.05.14
Al from Thwaites rang super early to make sure I was up as they were deliving a little earlier today and I was up and there before them!  Simon came with me to Cask this morning and set up his laptop in the Cocktail Lounge as today he's doing the auction online.  Looked at the pics before hand and there's a banjolele which I covet and loads of trombones which I have plans for so I asked if he'd bid on them.  It was really exciting, he showed great restraint, if it was me I'd have bought everything it's so easy with just the click of a button I could have had a taxidermied owl (not that I want or need one but I could have had one and probably would have had it been me in charge of the clicker).  He got loads of records and record players and old radios and the BANJOLELE, yay and 5 trombones, really excited to get them picked up now.

Wednesday evening and it's Open Mic, also a new moon which seemed to make everyone act out of character, I've never had so many people to refuse to serve before, a row between a pensioner and a disabled guy, a guy who I've never heard speak apart from to order Kozel in full chatter mode (with lots of swearing!), a regular who fell asleep and dropped his bottle of mead and spent the rest of the evening apologising, Laura Kelly (sorry naming and shaming) so funny, couldn't remember words to sing (yes Laura of course the reason was because you'd not got your contact lenses in).  For those who don't know, Laura is an amazing musician and does brilliant things with a loop pedal and sings like an angel which is why she was so funny this evening.

This video was filmed in the Cocktail Bar at Cask Corner, just to let you see how good she is


A little snippet of the evening mentioned above (sorry Laura but it is funny and you do look happy and beautiful), she's accompanied on guitar here by Anastasia Walker great solo artist and also member of Bang Bang Romeo a brillliant band who are going to be famous one day soon.


THURSDAY 15.05.14
I did stuff I've been trying to do for ages, hung clothes up so you can now see the bed in the "dressing room", hung my beautiful new mirror, chopped back the ivy that's been trying to climb in through all the windows I was so busy tidying that we completely lost track of the time so didn't make it to the Under The Stars night so played Scrabble instead, yes I won, now its 16-1, go team Julie.

FRIDAY 16.05.14
Today Simon went to pick up his auction purchases with the help of my mate Gary Poole (man with a van, if you need one just contact me I'll pass his details on) and I went to Cask to do the usual Friday stuff and prep for the evening.  Got home and my dining room is full of records,etc, slightly more that i had imagined but my Banjolele was there and it's beautiful and I love it and started learning It's Red Hot to play with Bluesy Steve on Open Mic, it needs a new G string though.  Also the trombones are great, I'll let you know my plans for them shortly.  Back to Cask Corner leaving a full of cold Simon at home playing with his records.  We had Van Hooligan playing, they're a really good (really loud) rock band and everybody loved them it was a good night for a sunny Friday evening too, support was Dave Bailey who always gives a cracking performance.  Home to eat jacket spud in bed at 3am, best meal of the day.


SATURDAY 17.05.14
More tidying (which actually involved totally messing up the dressing room but you can now see the floor in the small bedroom), cut grass, mended broken fence and finally drilled into my egg.  For those who don't know, Simon bought me a huge Ostrich egg for Easter (after we'd had a discussion about modes of transport, long story short, neither of us drive so I thought we could get an ostrich each and travel around on that).  The day it got delivered somebody from Doncaster Star was at Cask Corner doing an article about pub closures, Peter Kennedy had asked if they could do it at Cask and if I'd be the first signature on the petition, (here's the article http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/campaigns/star-campaign-to-save-our-pubs-1-6567155) so anyway he saw me opening the egg and asked if he could do a story on it (here it is if you've not seen enough videos today http://www.thestar.co.uk/what-s-on/video-giant-dinosaur-egg-shock-for-doncaster-pub-landlady-1-6568406.  They say 10cm on the story but it's acutally a 10mm drill bit required to drill into it and it's a tough egg to break I'll tell you.  Finally got in there and then seperated the yolk and the whites, made 3 lemon drizzle cakes, a massive egg custard, froze two freezer bags of egg whites (for pavlova and angel cakes) and saved some more egg for scrambled egg in the morning.  Went to Cask leaving the kitchen looking like a war zone (my maid Simon will sort it out) tonight we had The Speakeasy Blues Band who I really, really enjoyed, supported by Mick Holmes and James Taplin regular support and members of the Smoking Beagles (I may mention them a lot on here but they are a brilliant band and a bit like my babies as they were born at Cask Corner).  Home again to more jacket potato in bed.

SUNDAY 18.05.14
Hardly slept as Simon was coughing for England last night so got up and had scrambled ostrich egg (really nice), moved Sky box downstairs as it's been cutting off in the bedroom and I keep missing stuff as it's failing to record, got that working, Lorna popped in for a coffee then we went off to Sine FM for Simons radio show The Other Way.  His guests were Alistair Pearson (very clever singer/songwriter and utterly lovely person), and Mick and James mentioned above so it was like a family reunion.  We were a little rowdy and Simon had to keep telling us off like firm but fair dad, my Madonna impression made him raise his eyebrows (don't serve water out of pointy cups then it's just asking for it) but we laughed and talked and they played great music and it was a brilliant show, I'm looking forward to the podcast (I'll put it on here next week it's not done yet).

All in all I had a lovely week surrounded by great people eating lots of egg and listening to some quality music what more can a girl ask for?




No comments:

Post a Comment