Tuesday 6 May 2014

Seeing as how my boyfriend does this I thought i'd give it a go.  A week in the life of a bar owner may not be something you'd ever want to read about but you'll see even though it takes up all my time and effort it's fun too.  You may then appreciate why most people who own bars tend to not have holidays or social lives (or sleep or healthy eating habits).

Right here goes.

Monday 28.04.14
Starts off phone ringing straight away, do I want any beer, it's 9am I'm not sure I even want any breakfast give me chance to check the cellar!  Get to work and it's the usual, check the cellar, do the books, do the banking.  Stick some stuff on the walls, mend something, listen to some bands who want to play at Cask, book some bands, order beer, share all the events for the week, print off posters, rota, timesheets, quiz tickets.  Joie pointed out that there was a leak in the downstairs toilets, couldn't find where it was coming from so she cleaned up the water and I said I'd check it out tomorrow.  Mondays good I get to leave before 2 am and it's Scrabble night.  As usual I win this game making it 11-1 to me, I sing my "We Are The Champions" song with extra emphasis on "Loser" using finger gestures too just to emphasise the point.  Simon takes it in good grace though (he's had enought practice now, haha).

Tuesday 29.04.14
No evidence of leak in toilet so that's good.  No Live & Gigging tonight so get to go home early again (you're thinking it's not that bad, wait on you'll be eating your words).  Another game of scrabble resulting in another win for me, song, etc 12-1, oh yes.

Wednesday 30.04.14
Met Mummy and Daddy for lunch and then went and visited the Marketplace Ale House and Deli (which is well worth a visit) as they'd never been now they have another place they can go and have a coffee and a bite to eat, then it's back to Cask, Joie points out that the leak is back in the toilet, this is where the fun starts. I'd just like to point out that Wednesday is my favourite night of the week, Open Mic night, where some of Doncasters finest come down and play all sorts of wonderful things for us. Back to the leak, no it's not the downstairs toilet that's leaking it's the down pipe which is fed from the two ladies toilets and the drain from the Sun Terrace.  Spend an age trying to unblock it to no avail, it's 6pm I've no drain cleaner left and it's getting nearer to Open Mic so I replace the pipes and block off the toilets thinking right I'll pop in in the morning with a bit of drain cleaner at least the pipes are clear should be a doddle.  It starts to rain, so much so that we have a water feature in the bar from the cealing, a bin beneath it will suffice until morning.  Lots of jokes from customers, musicians, no water music though.

Thursday 01.05.14
Should have said White Rabbit I knew it.  Get to the bar at 10 and start to drain the pipe off ready to clear the blockage, unscrew it too much and the entire thing spills it's guts on me. I go upstairs, take off my sodden dress and put on a t-shirt which just skims by bum and start the unblocking process.  3 bottles of drain cleaner later, totally laddered tights, lots of amused regulars and it's 6.30 and I've cleared it.  Great day off, go home to get a very hot shower and to beat Simon yet again 13-1, gleeful rendition of my "Champions" song this evening.

Friday 02.05.14
Big massive cock up with a delivery of Mead i'd ordered for the Stag Party tomorrow night resulting in numerous phone calls which got me nowhere.  A lovely man Chris Harrison said he'd collect it for me from Goole in the 8-11am time slot that they'd got Direct Logistics told me he'd need the consignment number and ID.  Fair enough at least we'll have it for tomorrow.  Rock & Roll Outlaws playing tonight they were loud but good, new beers going down well with the customers good night then Bruce comes out of the toilet, "you're toilets leaking Julie"  I run in, no it's not the b****y toilet it's the drain again, argh.  Quickly shut the ladies toilets, clean up water and hope it doesn't rain.  Phew end of night, no water features.  2.30am I'm unblocking drains yet again, this time there was a definate unblocking noise, taxi home at 5.30am get my tea (usual jacket potato, bonnet peppers and loads of butter) at 6am and it didn't even seem weird anymore!

Saturday 03.05.14
Woke up at 12.30 checked phone, loads of missed calls from Chris that I'd managed to sleep through.  I rang him up, the idiots at the aforementioned delivery company refused to give him the parcels even though he knew the weight, how many packages, the consignment number, who it was from, who it was to, the receptionist bra size and the delivery drivers inside leg measurement, and he'd took a passport for ID, livid I am, fuming. Oh well it's The Rusty Nails tonight so back to Cask and hurrah not plumbing problems, we have a great night my friend Debbie came and Dave and Mary were over so it was nice to see them even though I'm having difficulty keeping my eyes open and I feel a cold coming on.  It's Heathers last night working for us so we have a drink and a chat after we shut meaning I get home and have tea at 5.30am (a little earlier than last night).  Looking forward to Sunday my one day off and no toilets to unblock, friends are out and I'm going to go out and even have a drink!!

Sunday 04.05.14
Woke up full of cold, no energy, didn't go radio with Simon, didn't do housework, didn't go out with friends, didn't have a drink.  Never mind tomorrows Bank Holiday Monday, ah no wait I don't get that off.  Simon bought home kebab meat and chips with mayo and chilli sauce, what every girl needs who's in bed feeling sorry for herself.  Had some beaut icecream too Amaretto flavoured so not a totally rotten day.




No comments:

Post a Comment